Monday, April 9, 2012

Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Publication Date: November 21, 2011
Publisher: RazorBill
Format: Hardback
Source: borrowed from friend
Pages: 358
It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future. 
By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.
My Review: It took me no time at all to finish this book. It's almost 400 pages but I started it on a Sunday night and finished it Tuesday morning. This probably won't happen again for awhile until I get out of school. I wanted to push everything else to the side so I could finish this book. Usually when I put a book down I stop thinking about it until I pick it up later, not with this one, I'm still thinking about it.
    First, the characters. First, I want to talk about Emma. She was your average high school girl. She ran track, loved to hang out with her best friend Kellan and loved to just relax at home. Josh was an okay character. I thought he was just too.....typical. He had a crush on his neighbor, Emma. I thought okay he has a crush on her. No, it constantly reminds you of that throughout the whole dang book and I found that just a little bit annoying.
   Next, the plot. We follow Josh and Emma. Josh gives Emma an old CD-ROM that his family got in the mail but couldn't use since they didn't have a computer. When Emma logs onto AOL, she clicks her favorite places and discovers 'Facebook'. Neither, Josh nor Emma know what it is. Josh thinks it's just a prank being pulled and not to worry. Emma on the other hand, thinks it's real. They soon realize that even the tiniest event or choice now, can change their future, in a good or bad way.
   Overall this book was amazing. The writing was breathtaking in my opinion. If it wasn't for the whole Josh loves Emma thing it would've been a heck of a lot better but in my book, it was still a five star read. I hope you guys check this book out if you haven't already. If you have, leave me your thoughts on it in the comments or a link to your review of it.
                                                                          5/5
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I get comments on my posts! I will usually ''reply'' to you by visiting your blog or replying to your comment!