Monday, May 7, 2012

Review: The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland

The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland
Published: May 10, 2012
Publisher: Speak (Penguin)
Source: NetGalley
Format: ebook
Pages: 250
Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time.
My Review: The Summer My Life Began is an amazing novel and I just cannot stop raving about it to all of my friends. It was definitely a quick read at 250 pages but let me tell you, a lot happens in those 250 pages.
   First, the characters. Em was our main protagonist. After leaving behind her New York life of and having a structured life, she trades that in for a month of island living with her aunt Tilly. Em was a breathtaking character. She was spunky, funny, quirky, smart, I just can't describe her other than AWESOME! Cade was the awesome a guess you could say, sidekick? He was always there whether he was lurking in the distance of right beside you. He was always there and I really liked that.
   Next, the plot. We follow Em. Em has been raised all her life as a proper lady in New York with the perfect life planned ahead of her. After a graduation letter arrives from her Aunt Tilly -which Em didn't know existed- she heads down the the island she lives on to live for a whole month. She then discovers who she really is and where she belongs.
   Overall, this was a very different book that I actually really enjoyed. The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland was an exhilarating read. I will probably re-read this several time because it was so breathtaking! I know I say this about every contemporary read I have read lately, definitely buy this one or preorder it or research it more.
                                         5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I get comments on my posts! I will usually ''reply'' to you by visiting your blog or replying to your comment!