Monday, June 18, 2012

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Publication Date: April 6, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Pages: 267
Some summers are just destined to be pretty. Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.
I had heard a lot of amazing things about The Summer I Turned Pretty and today, I'm going to add another to that list.

Every summer Belly and her brother, Steven,  go to the beach/summer house that their mom's friend, Susannah, owns. Susannah has two of her own kids, both boys, Conrad, the oldest, and Jeremiah, the youngest. Belly has always had a thing for Conrad and when he says she's changed, she thinks that that will be the summer everything changes between her and Conrad.

Belly turns sixteen that summer. She was definitely not stupid but I wouldn't say she always knew what was right to say and do. The main reason I really enjoyed about this novel was Belly. She was just so so so relatable to and I honestly felt like I would have made the same mistakes as her.

The plot was good. It wasn't a one hundred percent pure unique idea that I had never read before. It was unique though with the brothers and how they related and everything.

The writing style was probably a big part of why I enjoyed it so much. It was so fluent and smooth. It's hard to describe something so great. It felt like a breeze.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book. It has that pick me up feel too it that I absolutely adored! I felt like I was reading it for 20 minutes and then I was done but I actually wasn't. This is also a great and easy beach read and I would know because I read it while on vacation, at the beach.

                                                               5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I get comments on my posts! I will usually ''reply'' to you by visiting your blog or replying to your comment!